Don's Crockpot Stuffed Flank Steak
1 Carb Choices
Sodium Per Recipe: 429.2 mg
Sodium Per Serving: 107.3 mg
Protein: 30.6 g
Carbohydrate: 4.201 g
Protein: 30.4 g
Carbohydrate: 11.7 g
Dietary Fiber: .874 g
Total Fat: 19.1 g
Saturated Fat: 6.945 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 8.053 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.341 g
Cholesterol: 88.9 mg
Trans Fatty Acids: 0 g
Total Omega-3 FA: .163 g
Total Omega-6 FA: 0 g
Potassium: 437.6 mg
Sodium: 61.5 mg
Vitamin K: 33.2 mcg
- 2 pounds beef flank steak (459.2 mg)
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped (6 mg)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1.02 mg)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (trace)
- Optional: 1½ cups homemade no-salt bread crumbs* (2.275 mg)
- ½ cup chopped fresh Crimini or Portabella mushrooms (2.58 mg)
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley (8.4 mg)
- ¾ teaspoon Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute** (trace)
- 1⁄8teaspoon black or white pepper (.015 mg)
- ½ cup Maureen's Chicken Broth or homemade beef broth or Herb-Ox beef broth (10.8 mg)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (trace)
- 4 teaspoons filtered water (trace)
If your butcher doesn't have flattened flank stead, then buy the version they have and flatten it at home with your kitcheen tenderizer (I still all it a kitchen hammer. Flatten the mat to about ½ inch. Set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
Stir in the no salt homemade bread crumbs, mushrooms, parsley, 21 spice mix pepper.
Spread the sauteed mix over over steak to within 1 in. of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style,
starting with a long side. Either tie together with kitchen string or metal skewers.
Place into your crockpot or slow-cooker. Stir in the broth. Cover and cook on low or high, for many crockpots that means 6 to 8 hours. 6 hours is higher heat than 8 hours.
Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
Juices left in the pot and pour the juice into a small saucepan.
In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour this into the juice in the saucepan and stir until well blended. Bring to a a boil cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove the skewers or string before slicing for serving.
1 Let any of the bread you make at hime harden, chop into crumbs. If in a hurry, toast the bread until it's toasted through. The "Optional" is there to allow you to drop the crumbs or replace that with 1½ cups of diced red potatoes. I like to saute the potatoes or broil or barbecue them and then add them during the last hour of slow-cooking or just stir them in at the end. This is a geographical choice in most cases. Some area like the bread, some the potatoes and we've learned some don't like either.
2 Or Costco's 21 seasoning mix or similar store brands, but without salt.